The shock of a Knutsford woman as a pet cat was shot dead with an air rifle
A CAT owner has shared her shock after her beloved pet was shot dead with an air rifle in Knutsford.
Jess Elbeck, a firefighter on duty, who also lives next door to the town’s fire station, said he “begs to believe” how someone could do such a thing, as a warning to other car owners. pets to be on guard.
Luckily, one-year-old Chester is on the mend, despite needing life-saving emergency surgery to remove the pellet from his gut, with Jess saying he’s lucky to be alive after the reflection quick from his partner Mhairi, who also happens to be a veterinarian.
She said: “It’s really amazing and it’s not the kind of thing you expect, especially not here because it’s such a beautiful area.
“He is usually at home most of the day, but he will venture out at night.
“But he never seems to wander too far, and every time I call him he usually comes back in an instant.”
Poor Chester is now recovering at home
Jess believes Chester was shot at some point between when she went to bed on Monday, September 20 at 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. the next morning, although her horrific injuries were not immediately obvious to her.
She added: “I get up pretty early for work but didn’t notice it hurts at first.
“He gets up normally and sprints down in front of me because he knows he’s going to be fed and he’s really greedy.
“But he didn’t move from his bed and I just thought it was really weird, because he had never done this before.
“So I took out his food and he still hasn’t come down.
“At that point my partner carried him down, but he didn’t jump for his food, so we knew something was wrong.
“It was when I went to get him, he made that painful noise as I put my hands under his stomach.”
Although Mhairi is a vet, there didn’t seem to be any obvious signs of injury and it wasn’t until Jess left for work that she spotted a trace of blood and a small wound on Chester’s side.
“She called me and told me she thought he had a fight or been bitten,” Jess said.
“So she decided to take him to work to have him checked, but on entering he started to vomit blood in the car.
“They immediately gave him an x-ray and that’s when they saw the little pellet inside him.
“They had to undergo emergency surgery, which revealed that it had passed through his abdomen and intestine.
“They managed to get the lead out by luck, but it left some pretty long scars.”
It was the pellet taken from Chester’s gut
The case was reported to the police, and although they said they would investigate, it might be difficult to find the perpetrator without any proof of the exact location where it happened.
“The same applies to the RSPCA as well, because without any information about who it might be, it’s difficult for them to do anything,” Jess said.
“I just wanted to raise awareness in case someone else has similar stories.
“It could easily have killed him.
“You wouldn’t expect such things to happen in your own neighborhood and certainly not in Knutsford.
“I don’t think there isn’t much you can do to find out where the cats go when they leave the house, but for someone to go so far as to shoot one with a air rifle, it’s just amazing. ”
Chester had to undergo life-saving surgery after being hit by an air rifle